Proposals for Arts + Design Creative Gateway Courses at BAMPFA, 2018/2019!
The Office of Berkeley Arts + Design seeks preliminary course proposals for Letters & Sciences 25, “Thinking through the Arts and Design at Berkeley.” As the flagship course in an emerging suite of “creative gateway” experiences, this course introduces students to a range of creative forms and venues on campus and off. Instructors choose a central theme to organize exposure to and analysis of visual art, performing arts, film, media, literature, and design in different combinations. Past themes have included Architecture of Life, California Counter Cultures, Curation Across Disciplines, and Bay Area Experiment. As we look ahead to the 2018/2019 season and exhibition schedule of campus partners, a number of resonant themes are already emerging—Migration and Home; Abstraction and Emotion; Artists and Scientists, Gender and #MeToo—and more. L&S 25 satisfies the Arts and Literature breadth requirement and receives support from Big Ideas Courses, Mellon Courses at Cal Performances, and the Arts + Design Initiative. The course is offered on Tuesday and Thursdays from 12pm to 2pm in BAMPFA Osher’s Theater, including an embedded visiting lecture series open to the public on Thursdays (Note: A+D Wednesdays will become A+D Thursdays next year). Graduate Student Instructors lead small group sections. Learn more about “creative gateways” here. See past lectures on our YouTube Channel.
Successful applicants will receive:
1) Course buy-out for one faculty member, directed to their home department.
2) Two GSI support positions (Salary and fee waiver)
3) A budget for invited speakers
4) Free and/or subsidized access to artistic events for up to 100 students, including Cal Performances
5) In-kind Staff, marketing, and space support from BAMPFA and Office of Berkeley Arts + Design for classes and events on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 12pm-2pm (this timing is pre-set at BAMPFA)
Please send brief proposals to Shannon Jackson, Associate Vice Chancellor for the Arts + Design, by February 15th to: email@example.com. Proposals should include the following:
1) One paragraph describing the proposed theme and goals of the course
2) A list of three to six on-campus and off-campus creative events you would ideally incorporate in the course.*
3) A preliminary list of suggested speakers (visitors and UCB faculty/staff) for the embedded public lecture series, A+D Thursdays.
• For updated information about 2018/2019 campus art events, contact Sabrina Klein at Cal Performances (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sherry Goodman at BAMPFA (email@example.com) Lynn Kimura at BAMPFA (firstname.lastname@example.org), Melissa Schultz in TDPS (email@example.com), and Lauren Pearson (firstname.lastname@example.org) at ARC/A+D.